SVF (Stromal vascular fraction) therapy is a one of its kind technology which has been introduced at Mumbai based joint pain clinic iMMUNEX, with an aim to avoid joint replacement.

It was inaugurated by ace filmmaker Madhur Bhandarkar and highly acclaimed chef Sanjeev Kapoor.

SVF therapy was innovated in Australia in 2009. Meanwhile, since its inception, it has been used in Indore from 2015. It will be put to use for the first time in Mumbai by Andheri based Immunex Clinic.

Dr.Vinay Tantuway, orthopaedic, who has treated more than 300 patients, said “It is different from other cell therapies. Major advantages of the therapy include no requirement for any cuts, the patient can be discharged in one day it can be treated using local anaesthesia and through a single surgical sitting. There has been an 85 per cent success rate for the therapy while the remaining 15 per cent of patients were not harmed or suffer side effects.”

Dr.Ajay Rathod ,who will head the clinic in Andheri said, ”It is a cost-effective treatment in comparison to joint replacement. The patient does not have to worry about undergoing joint replacement surgery. Joints can be treated without surgery. There are no side effects of the treatment.”

Moreover, doctors are in complete favour of the procedure, as it is sure to help avoid joint replacement surgery.

Elaborating on the procedure Dr Tantuway explained, “This therapy includes removing 300 ml to 500 ml of body fat and process it in an ultrasonic machine to break the fat which is then placed in the joint. The full process takes approximately 1.5 hours. 50 percent of the patient can see the effects of the therapy within few weeks.”

As per the doctors, as we have brought in so many changes in our lifestyle, joint pains can affect and can be detected among the younger age group.

Usually patients above the above age group of 60 years would come for treatment. But nowadays, patients of the age group of 40s and above are seen coming in complaining of joint aches and seeking treatment too. A drastic rise in the number of patients has been noticed, added Dr.Tantuway